Any person holding a licence to drive a particular class of motor vehicle by the competent authority of a country other than Singapore, may apply for conversion to a Singapore driving licence to drive the equivalent class of motor vehicle. Licence that is granted automatically without the need of test but on the merit of attaining of another licence will not be converted, example a motorcycle licence granted with class 3 licence without going through a test.
Singaporeans and Permanent Residents
Singaporeans and Permanent Residents may only drive in Singapore with a Singapore licence. They have to seek conversion of their foreign driving licence upon returning to Singapore and upon obtaining PR status respectively.
Singaporeans and Permanent Residents may convert a foreign driving licence if they can show proof that they have reason to be staying in a foreign country for a period of 1 year or more due to study or work, and have a total stay of 6 months within the one year period.
New PRs who already have a 5-year Singapore driving licence will have to replace it with a lifetime driving licence that reflects their new NRIC number. Replacement of licence can be done at a fee of $25 at the Traffic Police at 10 Ubi Ave 3 S’pore 408865.
A foreigner above 18 years of age and holding valid foreign licence may drive in Singapore for a period of not more than 12 months. A Singapore driving licence is required after 12 months. Those on short term social visit may drive with their foreign licence. For licence not written in English language, an International Driving Permit or an official translation in English language is required.
Please note that Work Permit holder is not allowed to drive in the course of work on public roads unless the occupation stated in the Work Permit shows he is employed as a driver.
For more information on Work Pass restrictions, please visit:- http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/services-forms/passes/WPSPassConditions.pdf or you can call MOM at 64385122.
Classes of driving licence that may be converted
Foreign licence conversion is only granted for class 2B ((for motorcycles that are 200 cc or less). and class 3 qualified driving licences. Learner driving licence may not be converted.
Conversion for a higher capacity or open category motorcycle licence shall not be granted unless these documents are submitted with the application:
1. documentary proof of proper trainings from the foreign Licensing Authority;
2. documentary proof from the foreign Licensing Authority indicating on the capacity of the motorcycle the applicant was tested on in which it has to be signed and endorsed on;
3. documentary proof ownership of bigger motorcycle and insurance policy indicating and the applicant must have had at least one year riding experience on the road.
We regret to say that any information or documentary proofs which are downloaded from the foreign Licensing Authority’s website will be assessed on a case by case basis.
In order to convert your foreign licence to a Singapore driving licence, you are required to pass the Basic Theory Test (BTT), overseas theory test results are not admissible for consideration.
You may book for a BTT in person at any of the 3 driving schools. On passing the BTT you may then proceed to apply for conversion at the Traffic Police Driving Test Centre counters in person, with the relevant documents. The 3 Traffic Police Driving Test Centres are co-located with the 3 driving schools. Their addresses are:
- Woodlands Driving Test Centre, level 1, co-located with the Singapore Safety Driving Centre ( http://www.ssdcl.com.sg/ ) at 2, Woodlands Industrial Park E4 Singapore 757387.
- Bukit Batok Driving Test Centre, level 2, co-located with the Bukit Batok Driving Centre (http://www.bbdc.sg ) at 815 Bukit Batok West Ave 5 Singapore 659085.
- Kampong Ubi Test Centre, level 2, co-located with ComfortDelgro Driving Centre (http://www.cdc.com.sg) at 205, Ubi Ave 4 Singapore 408805.
Please bring along the following documents where applicable, when applying for conversion of licence:
- Original and a photocopy of your passport and NRIC/Entry Permit & Re-entry permit/Employment Pass/Dependant Pass/Work Permit/Student Pass/Long Term Pass
- Original and a photocopy of your valid Qualified Foreign Driving Licence
- Fee is of $50 (Cashcard or NETS payment Only)
- One matt finish passport-size colour photograph with white background, eyes looking straight and both ears and eyebrow visible in the photograph. There should be no headgear worn unless normally worn for religious purpose, and glasses worn should not be tinted.
- For Malaysian licence holders, an extract from JPJ Malaysia showing information of your driving record and licence information (obtained not more than 6 months before date of conversion)
- For Singaporeans and PR studying overseas for one year or more, please produce proof of stay in the country, e.g. educational transcripts or Letter of Acceptance by the educational institution and the relevant student visa in the passport.
- For Singaporeans and PR employed overseas for one year or more, please produce Income Tax Returns or supporting documents from employers and the relevant employment visa in the passport.
Applicant is required to watch the Road Safety video after getting the in-principle approval from Traffic Police test counters before the application can be processed.
Driving licence not in English language
For a foreign driving licence that is not in English language, you are required to have an International Driving Permit in addition to the foreign driving licence. If an International Driving Permit is not available, an official translation of your driving licence in English is required. You may obtain translation from the relevant Embassy, High Commission, the Singapore Subordinate Court or the Singapore High Court. Translation is not required for licence issued by Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia.
Foreign Driving licence that expires with the expiry of a foreign visa
If you are a Singaporean or PR who holds a foreign driving licence that expires with the expiry of a foreign visa, you are required to obtain a written extract from the licence issuing authority of the country that your licence was issued. The extract should show the passing date, date of issue of your licence, the class of licence attained and your driving record.
You have to register for the Basic Theory Test within 3 months from the date you return to Singapore so that your conversion may be granted subsequently.